Wednesday 23
Today, we woke up to another morning of having breakfast at the school. In the cafeteria, we had (delicious!) tortillas for breakfast with the studying students (they had their examinations today). While helping them with their English notes, I was even able to learn some more Spanish!!!
In group devos we mediated on Proverbs 23. Reflecting on the verses, my group discussed how God wants our hearts and that the world will try to entice us, but it really does not truly care for us. Our hearts belong to the Lord, and it is important to remember, meditate upon, and rejoice in the fact that God loves us greatly and that He is in control of our lives.
Today, we split up into two groups. Ten of us went to the Christian TV Station building and ten of us went back to the school. At the station, we painted a room for the Chapel, trimming, and door frames, and poured acidic solution on the floor to remove the paint on the ground (so that it can be repainted). At the school, we painted various things, fixed cracks in the ceiling, and helped put in a volleyball court. I was in the group at the station and my task was to paint trimming and door frames. At first, I was a little intimidated because all I was supplied with was a fat brush, paint, a rag and cardboard (to prevent dripping). I was nervous that I would have a very difficult time keeping the paint on the trimming and not on the walls themselves. This task definitely taught me patience because I couldn’t “keep within the lines.” Although it was a bit tricky…it was not impossible! Haha. At the beginning of the task, I even whispered Philippians 4:13 (“I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me”) to myself. J
In the evening we (Life Challenge) hosted a block party/concert in a small community in El Paso. We split up into groups and ventured out: knocking on doors and inviting anyone and everyone to come. We also handed out Christian tracts. As the Christian Spanish rap music rang loudly unto the basketball court under an overpass (in the centre of the community), we played with the kids (soccer, basketball, and football). Near the end of the evening, one of the Life Challenge members publically shared the Gospel of Jesus Christ, and we were given the opportunity to pray with families, individuals, and children. Along with the great fun and laughter that we shared with the people, many of us were also able to have deep heart to heart conversations with the locals and had the wonderful opportunity to evangelize. It was really neat to meet the children who expressed that they know Jesus Christ as their Saviour. I met one boy named Carlos who aspires to part of a Christian band (hope to see him in concert someday). Their joy is encouraging.
We ended the evening with a delicious dinner that was made by Tim’s (our team leader from Life Challenge) wife (Debbie) (she is such a blessing). The team evening devo was about two qualities of a missionary: humility and meekness (having a love and care for God above yourself, and then having a love and care for people above yourself).
Overall, we are learning a lot about missions and ministry here in El Paso. We appreciate your prayers and it has been really exciting to see God moving here and specifically, in our own hearts.
Love always,
The Team (account by Amanda J.)
Romans 12:6-8
Today was another wonderful day. As in the past couple of days, we had breakfast with the students at the school down the street in their cafeteria. This morning we had tortillas with cheese on them. I skipped the jalapeno pepper that was served with them. I have really enjoyed spending time with the students there. Many of them come over from Juarez to attend school. Today they had tests for all their classes, so there was lots of studying going on during breakfast.
I was in the group of people that went over to the TV station this morning. I was working of cleaning the floor with an acidic wash to prepare it and patch up some holes in the concrete. While doing this we had a good conversation with Walter, the guy who works at the station. He was telling us how their ministry isn’t just for the people in El Paso, but being the only dedicated Christian TV station; they had a ministry on both sides of the boarder.
A little later in the evening we all went over to a park in El Paso where we did evangelism. There was music provided by a band and we had the opportunity to talk and pray with people there. I had the chance to talk to a couple of people and hear their stories. One guy, (I will call him D. ) had a story that really made me realize what the situation in Juarez is like. D. had lived in Juarez a little while ago, and ended up getting shot by the drug cartels. He survived when many didn't. D. then came into the states with his injuries and now can't go back into Mexico. He still is dealing with his injuries and year and a half later. He was telling us that his sister's husband was recently killed there and she is there dealing with that he is staying here with the kids.
Thank you so much for all your prayers,
Moria
No comments:
Post a Comment