(I sent this out last week via email to the students going on the trip. May you also read it and find peace.)
I wanted to share with you in this email a short devotion. I know that the week leading up is nerve-racking. You don't know what to expect, you might be having second thoughts, or that crazy organizer who is asking for your money is getting on your nerves. Perhaps you feel distanced from God, and you're not sure what it is that He is calling you to do. Perhaps you are simply excited, ready to learn, ready to grow, ready to serve. Perhaps you don't know what you are.
These lyrics are those of a Spanish worship song which I learned on my first trip down. I think that the words ring very clear.
Estad por Cristo firmes
Soldado de la cruz
Alzad hoy la bandera
En nombre de Jesus
Es vuestra la victoria
Con El por capitan
Por El seran vencidas
Las huestes de Satan
Estad por Cristo firmes
Hoy llama a la lid
Con El, pues, a la lucha
Soldados todos, id
Probad que sois valientes
Luchando contra el mal
Si es fuerte enemigo
Jesus es sin igual.
Now, those words mean nothing to you in Spanish. And you likely can recognize a few words here and there. Christ, Satan, victorious, name, etc. Likely, you are wondering why I gave you the Spanish lyrics. Well, here is why:
In English, these are the words to a very well known hymn. It has been sung for years by Christians from all across time, countries and cultures. This song unifies us. This song is the cry of Christians, a reminder to us that we must serve, love, and obey.
Stand up, stand up for Jesus
As soldiers of the cross
Lift high the royal banner
It must not suffer loss
From victory unto victory
His army shall He lead
Till every foe is vanquished and
Christ is LORD indeed.
Stand up, stand up for Jesus
The trumpet call obey
Then join the mighty conflict
In this, His glorious day
Be strong in faith and serve Him
Against unnumbered foes
Let courage rise with danger
And all God's foes oppose.
Isaiah 1:17 says, "Learn to do right! Seek justice, encourage the oppressed. Defend the case of the fatherless, plead the case of the widow."
Christ calls us to fight injustice. And he never said it would be easy. But He gave us the Spirit.
"If anyone loves me, he will obey my teaching. My Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him. He who does not love me will not obey my teaching. These words you hear are not my own; they belong to the Father who sent me. All this I have spoken while still with you. But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you. Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid." (John 14: 23-27)
Later in the book of John, Jesus has this conversation with Peter (John 21:15-17):
When they had finished eating, Jesus said to Simon Peter,“Simon son of John, do you love me more than these?”
“Yes, Lord,” he said, “you know that I love you.”
Jesus said, “Feed my lambs.”
16 Again Jesus said, “Simon son of John, do you love me?”
He answered, “Yes, Lord, you know that I love you.”
Jesus said, “Take care of my sheep.”
17 The third time he said to him, “Simon son of John, do you love me?”
Peter was hurt because Jesus asked him the third time, “Do you love me?” He said, “Lord, you know all things; you know that I love you.”
Jesus said, “Feed my sheep [...]"
It seems to be a running theme, doesn't it? Serve. Feed. Love.
It is Agape love that Christ asks of us, that Christ gives us. Love the LORD your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength. Love your neighbor as yourself.
1 Corinthians 13:13 says, "And these three remain: faith, hope, and love. But the greatest of these is love."
Standing up for Jesus requires love. It requires perserverence. It requires hope. It never fails. Look at all of 1 Corinthians 13. Love never fails.
Are you serving with love?
Look at the lyrics to the song again. "Be strong in faith and serve Him." It's hard to be strong in faith and serve Him when you know there is risk involved. It may be financial risk, or family risk, or personal dangers. Is your faith in God guiding you? Is fear guiding you? Is uncertainty guiding you?
I remember my first time to Juarez. I was terrified. I remember asking God why He was calling me to go there, of all the places in the world, why did I need to go and serve in a place where there was drug-trafficking, rape, abduction, a corrupted government, drinking water that was unclean, and people speaking a different language (etc, etc.). When you are 16, that is terrifying. When you are 21, that is still terrifying. I would be dishonest with you if I told you that I wasn't a little scared. I don't know what is going to happen. I don't know what tomorrow brings. I can't know what tomorrow brings. But God knows what tomorrow brings, and I breathe peace knowing that my God is the God who created the universe, who has plans for me, and who knows what tomorrow brings. He will protect you, and guide you, and work in you. It's been 5 years since that first trip to Juarez. As much as I want to say that, reflecting, I know why God called me to go on that trip, to meet LCI, to meet Tim Gamwell, and, in a very strong way, to meet Jesus, I don't know. I only know that this is part of a bigger plan.
Read Psalm 140. Pray it.
"I know that the LORD secures justice for the poor and upholds the cause of the needy."
Read Psalm 144.
"He is my loving God and my fortress, my stronghold and my deliverer."
God has got us. Satan will not win by making us scared.
On Sunday, Amanda J shared something with me which I want to share with you. She said that someone had asked her if she felt God calling her to do something after this trip. She said yes. This person reminded her that God has given her a calling after Mexico. Think about this in your own life. Is God calling you to do something with your life? That means you still have one to live.
"For I know the plans I have for you" Declares the LORD."
Take comfort. God is with us.
Love.
Along with the devotion, the lyrics to the song posted below really hit home. Especially the bridge which says:
If our God is for us, than who could ever stop us?
If our God is with us, then what could stand against?
Those are pretty good questions to ask.
If our God is for us, than who could ever stop us?
If our God is with us, then what could stand against?
Those are pretty good questions to ask.
No comments:
Post a Comment